And then you learn..!

Life has a strange way of teaching its lessons.In a journey,nothing can be taken for granted and any sorta ignorance can get back to you when you least expect it to.

We have an evaluation system where 50% of the weightage is given to Internal Assessment (IA) and the remaining to External Assessment (EA).IA is done through assignments and all that jazz within respective centers. A is done by conducting a common exam across all the centers. Folks take it easy with IA, but when it comes to EA, everyone pulls up their socks as you are measured against 2500 students, no less!! The CGPA is arrived at by evaluating both the performances, the SGPA (Scholarship GPA) is determined by the EA alone.

Last week we got our EA marks. Today we got the CGPA grades for our last but one term exams. And I sat there staring at the screen. Shocked. Dazed, to be precise. Deaf to the commotion around me. I had topped in one of the papers in my EA. Deserves an 'A', obviously. But the scorecard read 'C'. My first reaction was to inform the admin that there was some mistake there as I couldn’t possibly get a 'C' after having topped that subj!! As I was about to leave my seat, it stuck me. This was the combined result of IA and EA, not EA alone. That realisation felt like a blow. I knew where I lost out....

A month before the end terms began, we had to submit an assignment. Now the subject -Industrial Relations - happens to one of my favourites. Somehow reading all those Labour Laws never seemed boring to me. With the end term approaching, the Prof. had asked us to give a handwritten report on 5 important laws, each one to be summarised within 2 pages!!! I dunno why, I simply lost interest when I heard that. The imp. international laws were to be done the same way. 25 marks weightage. 25% component of the whole grading for the subject.

I got down to it just a day before submission, but I hated it. I didnt like the way the laws were dealt with. You cant summarise pages of such important laws into 2 pages of A4 paper!! I decided to talk to the Prof. Next day, I met him and expressed my concern. I told him I cant complete something like this, though he could quiz me on the laws incase he wanted to check my knowledge. I was confident I was pretty good at them (The proof now being the EA marks). He refused. He said, I either submit it or risk losing those marks.

I didnt submit. Not used to doing things am not convinced about. So,while everyone was marked outta 100,I was being marked outta 75. In face of cut throat competition, 2-3 marks make a lotta difference and I threw away 25.

All this came flashing back as I was staring at my grade sheet. Thanks to the remaining subjects, the CGPA didnt suffer much, but this did leave a dent.

I was majorly upset after this. When the term had started, I had aimed for a scholarship this time. The IA wasnt much of a concern anyway, as I had always scored well there. Now even with the scholarship in hand (thanks to the EA), I was upset. Sometimes its so good when things are outta your control and you can blame others for anything that goes wrong. But when deep within your heart you know that you are responsible for what you are facing, it hurts even more.

It aint as much about the marks, as it is about the lesson that came outta this.

When you embark on a journey that's important to you, every step and every stop counts. You can never know the price you'd have to pay for bypassing a few to reach there in a hurry.

On a casual note: - Damn your convictions; they can damn you at times!

Comments

Anonymous said…
i knew this was coming........
bt i thought my LECTURE wud hav had some effect.......
bt it seems to b losing out

u probably need another dose...
Anonymous said…
And I knew this was coming too..! :)

Sabh fine now man..jus venting it out,so it stays for posterity ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Principle 1.

Killer V.

Principle 4.